Welcome to Mak and Jack

This is a journal that irregularly chronicles the crazy life, mishaps and adventures we have had since shortly before we traveled to Chongqing, China in August of 2006 to adopt our daughter (a sister for Jack,) Makena.

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Pink Cadillac

Sally (the face that launched the $100K remodel) came by with her family to visit Makena and she brought a completely over-the-top, super-cool, present: Her first set of wheels. And not just any car, but a pink Cadillac!

Makena was found at a gas station when she was five days old and I've always felt that the location she was left to be found at meant that her biological mother had hopes that her child would be going far in life. I know, I have a vivid imagination and I tend to romanticize things, but so what? That's the story I'm telling myself and I like it. And, of course, that's why this gift is so meaningful because it ties in perfectly with what I have imagined.

Of course, Makena will be driving it off the deck next week, so I'm now going to have to think about more baby-proofing. Ugh.

This was one of Makena's referral photos. I stared at it for six weeks wondering what kind of child we had been matched to. A very resilient and determined one, that's what. This kid is a survivor and a fighter. On August 15th we were handed a very light -- around fifteen pounds -- baby who needed a bit of assistance sitting up and who could not crawl. By the time we left Guangzhou, she was officially crawling and had probably put on a pound or two in her first two weeks with us.

Now that we've been home two weeks, today, Makena is pulling herself up and standing for several minutes at a time. This is going by whiplash fast, I can barely keep up.

Furthermore, I still have to put my wedding pictures in an album (I've been married almost fourteen years) and I still have to do Jack's baby book (he's eight) and of course, I have to put something together for Makena but I can barely document her progress. Where does time go?

I also wanted to post this picture because I think it was taken outside the orphanage in Qianjiang. Several of the babies who were referred to the families in our group, were posed in front of this grass.

Coincidence? I think not.


Is a - clue

PS: official thank you for the Cadillac, headed your way in the next six to eight weeks. Look for it in the mail.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isabelle-

No official thank you necessary. We will reject it. After all you've done for us - braiding maggie's hair, taking her skiing last year and all the tequila we drink at your house - influencing you to adopt a baby from china and then buying that stunning baby a pink caddy was the very least we could do.

Joan