Welcome to Mak and Jack

This is a journal that irregularly chronicles the crazy life, mishaps and adventures we have had since shortly before we traveled to Chongqing, China in August of 2006 to adopt our daughter (a sister for Jack,) Makena.

Saturday, December 30, 2006

Holidaze

There should be an award for getting two kids to sit still long enough to capture that "special moment." You know the one. The one you send out to all your friends and family that screams "we are soooo happy and content and wish you all the same." Yeah, well, appearances can be deceiving because our session was a family circus, a tragi-comedy full of tantrums and fits.

Once I had decided on the holiday neutral location, the Martha in me dared coordinate the kids in hues of blue. I figured the color would work well for Hanukah, the fire for Christmas and the orange bench for Kwanza. I tried to cover everything.

It was a commando mission Rambo would have been proud of. First, I had to time it right. I had to spring the photo shoot on my cinematographer brother-in-law who happened to be visiting. I had to do this within moments of sunset "magic hour" to inspire him to do this willingly. Then, I had to extract Jack from his bedroom while he was having a playdate and change him into some clean clothes. I banked on having all of five minutes to do this, so a shower was out of the question. Last, I had to hope that Makena would wake up from her nap with enough time to change her, snack her and keep her clean and happy long enough to capture that magical moment.

Of course, things never go as planned.

I even tried to bring Tiger into the picture but that proved disastrous after his wagging tail smacked Mak in the head...

One has to suffer for art.
















Then by some miracle, the sea parted, Tiger chased after a bird and there was calm. This is the shot we happily and gratefully settled for. The message I wrote was "Peace," which is what I wish you all for 2007.

Peace,

Isabelle
No resolutions, just resolved to try a little harder to be the best that I can be.

No comments: