Welcome to Mak and Jack

This is a journal that irregularly chronicles the crazy life, mishaps and adventures we have had since shortly before we traveled to Chongqing, China in August of 2006 to adopt our daughter (a sister for Jack,) Makena.

Friday, February 06, 2009

Best Blog

My friend Barbara nominated Mak and Jack for "Best Blog". I'm not quite sure what this entails. Is there a ceremony? And, if so, do I need to get a manicure and get my hair done? I am very flattered that she enjoys reading about our family. We live at the intersection of chaos and dysfunction. I think you know where that is. In any event, this has motivated me to blog more regularly.

In the meantime, I need to pass the baton and nominate five blogs that I enjoy reading.

The first one is about Mia who was adopted on the same day as Makena. Barbara and Mike were part of our adoption group and were also our traveling companions on a short trip that Jack and I took to Beijing before we met Makena. Mia is incredibly precocious, cute and "runway mode"l tall She and her family live in Florida and Barbara is very good at keeping her blog current.

The second blog, Why Do These Kids Keep Calling Me Mom, is hilarious. I read it weekly and it is about a family in the Washington State area. Although I have never met them in person I appreciate the parallel universe we live in. They have two daughters (one of whom was adopted at the age of 8) from China and an older biological son who reminds me a lot of Jack. Their life is ripe with chaos, humor and adventure.

The third blog, Grrl Travels, is about another family who adopted two children from China after having a biological son. The daughter they adopted had some developmental issues in the beginning and has made amazing progress (her mom deserves an award). This blog has always been very straightforward, often dark and funny and generous as it presents the challenges of trying to help this little girl function while meeting the needs of the other children and staying happily married!

Fourth: A good blog about two sisters, Maddy and Gwen, who were both adopted from China within eleven months of each other. The girls are a month apart in age so they are twins for all intents and purposes. Their mom runs a tight ship and her blog is always insightful, full of advice, good doses reality and useful links.

The last official nod will go to the twins. They are a hoot and remind me of Makena times two so I don't know how their parents do it.

Runners up: Waiting for Sophie, the Rolls Royce of blogs with several hundred thousand readers.

Life in the Greene Family She doesn't update very often but when she does it is to announce that another child has been adopted into the family. At last count, she was raising 22. I think that the octuplet mom should turn to her for advice.

Enjoy visiting these blogs.

Thanks, Barbara.


Is-a-blogger

No comments: