Welcome to Mak and Jack

This is a journal that irregularly chronicles the crazy life, mishaps and adventures we have had since shortly before we traveled to Chongqing, China in August of 2006 to adopt our daughter (a sister for Jack,) Makena.

Monday, June 29, 2009

Sealed with a kiss


I had to embarrass myself by volunteering to throw a frisbee at a sea lion and have him catch it. I raised my hand and promised the MC that this was my sport. I stood up in front of a large audience, told everyone my name and where I was from and then was handed the plastic disc. For a brief moment I flashed on my friend J (this is actually how you spell his name) who is an extreme frisbee player and tried to channel him as I took aim and failed, over and over and over. I could hear Jack groaning as the sea lion made every attempt to reach it and missed. Ugh. He finally caught it and splashed me as he belly flopped into the tank. Whatever. My failure still won me first place in line to get my picture taken with the animal so I quickly grabbed Makena and led her up to the podium as Jack took off in the opposite direction distancing himself from me. I hate lines so bruising my ego was definitely worth it.


The zoo offered elephant rides so we had to try that. We also fed giraffes. Ran twenty miles chasing after Makena...

Singapore was all about close encounters with animals as well as hand sanitizer. I went through an entire bottle the week as I was there. I would pop the bottle out and squirt away. Makena and Jack never turned it down.

The snake charmer's business was dead until we paid him to have Jack's picture taken with his boas. A crowd gathered around us as I snapped my pictures and then a few other tourists did the same. I sent Jack to the bathrooms to wash up after that. I didn't have enough antibacterial on me and snake pee is really smelly.

We really enjoyed ourselves in Singapore.

Is - sad to be leaving

No comments: