Welcome to Mak and Jack

This is a journal that irregularly chronicles the crazy life, mishaps and adventures we have had since shortly before we traveled to Chongqing, China in August of 2006 to adopt our daughter (a sister for Jack,) Makena.

Friday, August 21, 2009

Reunion

Where does the time go? I can't believe that three years ago we were sweating it out eating hotpot in Chongqing (while it was 116 degrees outside,) staring at Makena who was passed out in her stroller. I still remember the surreal awe I felt examining her every feature, absorbing the reality that she was my daughter and that this face was now and forever a part of my life.

On the fourteenth, fifteenth and sixteenth of this month, our adoption group reunited for the third time to celebrate the third anniversary of our daughters' adoptions. We hosted ten of the families who traveled from all over California and Hong Kong to celebrate. As the date approached, I tried to prepare Makena by letting her know that her China cousins were coming to party for three days. She was happy that Amelie (from HK) would be coming for a sleepover and that Sarah - who she had just seen a couple of weeks prior to this- would be there too. Otherwise, I don't think that she grasped the immensity of the celebration.

My friends and neighbors kept calling me the week leading up to the festivities, to check on me and ask if I was stressed. I wasn't. I honestly don't think twice about having forty people at my house. I'm defective that way. If I'm not ready, someone will always step in and offer to help and I always accept. It's a great ice-breaker and it makes people feel at home. The only thing I really focused on, in anticipation of the gathering, was making sure that the bathrooms were clean, that the superfluous piles of paper that tend to follow me from room to room were gone and that Makena's toys were sorted and somewhat presentable.

As far as the planning, I followed the template we created two years ago when we hosted the first anniversary.

1. Send out invitations and create schedule
2. Call nearby hotel and get a group rate
3. Plan activity for the first Friday afternoon
4. Reserve tables at a Chinese restaurant near the activity, plan the menu and negotiate cost (including tax and tip!)
5. Rent bouncy
6. Hire face painter for the girls
7. Rent margarita machine for the parents
8. Soup and salad for lunch
9. Hire taco caterer for dinner
10. Eat leftovers of Chinese food, Saturday lunch and Saturday dinner for brunch on Sunday. Finish margaritas!

Voila. A three day party.

I have to admit that I was a wee bit wiped out on Monday and Tuesday but it was worth every Advil I popped because seeing how beautiful the girls were: such adorable individuals, and soaking up all their quirks and energy was what kept me going. Makena was so happy and then it ended and she spent the rest of the week wining that the bouncy had disappeared from the backyard and why couldn't she have a butterfly painted on her face and where were all her friends?

I know for certain that as we keep reuniting from year to year to celebrate our families, that Makena will grow to have each and every one of them to turn to for commiseration and support. They are her extended family and they all have this date to share as a common experience. This is her normal. She is not alone. Not now and never again.

Happy Anniversary.

Mommy, Daddy and Jack love you, Makena Rae. You are our beautiful ray of sunshine.

Is - loving my daughter

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what a generous gift you gave your precious daughter and her mei meis!