Welcome to Mak and Jack

This is a journal that irregularly chronicles the crazy life, mishaps and adventures we have had since shortly before we traveled to Chongqing, China in August of 2006 to adopt our daughter (a sister for Jack,) Makena.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Bling

I knew my daughter loved jewelry but I didn't know to what extent until a few days ago when she was crying around four o'clock in the morning. I went into her room to check on her, thinking she probably wanted a bottle -- but the smell told me otherwise. So I picked her up and sort of sleep-walked through a change of diaper until something "sparkly" caught my eye. I thought I was seeing things 'cause that was some shiny s#*t!

I quickly replaid the list of foods that we had fed Makena the day before and "turquoise rhinestone the size of my finger nail" (and I'm not talking "pinky") wasn't on it. I was stunned by its size and surprised by how shiny it still was -- not to mention relieved that she hadn't choked swallowing it. I have to admit that "choking" was last in the order of my thought process.

This being a house of boys until a month ago, I can testify to the fact that we don't yet have a collection of sparkly stuff you can paste on art projects or jewelry beads. She must of stomached it on a visit to my neighbour's house when she was playing with the girls. Ugh.

Makena puts absolutely anything and everything in her mouth. In the six weeks we've had her the most noteworthy things I have pulled out of her mouth (other than dog hair) are: a splinter the size of a tooth pick that she fingered out of the track in our sliders, a scrabble tile and a rolly polly insect -- that I chalk up to her need for protein.

She reminds me of Sunny in the Lemony Snickets books.

Also, her first official word (other than "mama") is "Tiger". When she says it, it sounds like "Tay Ga" but there is no question as to whose attention she is trying to get when she says it.

Last, I'll be careful not to mention Jack's needs and wants anymore. One of my husband's clients bought him a PS2 and "Dance, Dance Fever" as a present. I couldn't believe it. Of course, Jack was over the moon with this gift (we all know how much he loves to dance) and I was the mean mom for having hesitated to even give it to him -- because it was completely over the top. I was hoping to wait until Christmas or Hanukkah but I lost the battle since I wasn't the gift "giver". We now have disco thumping through the house. Yeah!

Disco and Rhinestones -- it all seems meant to be.

Is a bling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thank you isabelle. by the way, I left some diamond earrings out last time I was there ...