Welcome to Mak and Jack

This is a journal that irregularly chronicles the crazy life, mishaps and adventures we have had since shortly before we traveled to Chongqing, China in August of 2006 to adopt our daughter (a sister for Jack,) Makena.

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Happy Birthday Makena

I got up this morning and sleep-walked into Makena's room to give her a bottle. Several minutes had passed before my brain actually warmed up enough to function and I realized that my baby was a year old, today.

I sang a whispered "Happy Birthday" and held her close for a few seconds before she wriggled away to play with this Fisher Price monstrosity I bought her a couple of weeks ago to honor this day. It's big, has lots of gadgets and will spew out mind-numbing songs at the slightest touch and Makena LOVES it. It hasn't ceased to amaze or entertain her and I'm thrilled to be getting my money's worth -- even if I feel like bashing my head against the wall everytime I have to hear the "Itsy-bitsy Spider" song.

I watched her happily lost in the wonders of babyhood and couldn't stop myself from thinking about the other women who played a role in shaping my daughter's young life: The mother who gave birth to her and kept her for five days before casting her off to an uncertain future and, her foster mother, who spent five months keeping her healthy and well cared for before having to say good bye to her. I'd like to think that the women who cared for her in the orphanage will remember her but I'm not that naive. Would they remember what day this was?

How do you survive the loss of your mother not once but twice? How do you attach, detach, reattach or trust that sharing your heart will not be met by more abandonment? I don't know how Makena does it but I feel truly awed by her courage and resilience and joy of life. I hope that I can be as good a role model to you as you are to me. Happy birthday Makena, my fearless little leader.

To mark this day, I thought that a visit with an elephant would be appropriate and so did my girlfriend, who by sheer coincidence thought of the same thing and hired one for her son's birthday! It's funny how like minds think alike. This was a trunk show like no other. I especially like the part where my idea was free of "charge."




In the meantime, if you are as curious as I was to find out how to throw a pachiderm party check out: www.havetrunkwilltravel.com or click on the link in the title.

Pony rides are sooo passe.


Is - loving my daughter

No comments: