Welcome to Mak and Jack

This is a journal that irregularly chronicles the crazy life, mishaps and adventures we have had since shortly before we traveled to Chongqing, China in August of 2006 to adopt our daughter (a sister for Jack,) Makena.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

14

I never realized the symbolism the number 14 would hold for me but it finally hit me today. My husband declared on Valentine's day, two years ago, that he was ready to adopt a child (and that was my present!) Our Social Worker came to the house on the fourteenth to interview us for the first of two post-placement visits. July 14 is the day Jack was born. Makena was born on the 28th (a multiple of fourteen) and, although she came into our lives on August 15 in China, it was technically August 14 in North America, as far as our family and friends were concerned.

Six months have flown by, give or take a nervous breakdown and the onset of adult-acne, and today marks Mak's sixteen months on earth. She has officially been with us longer than she was with her foster mother (5 months) or in the care of the Social Welfare Institute (4 months). On June 16th, she will have been with us longer (10 months) than she hasn't (9.5 months). I think it's referred to as the "crossover day". I often think about her biological mother and her foster mother and I wonder if they still think about her often and wonder what might have become of her. I also find myself looking at referral photographs of children from Chongqing and I wonder if she has a sister who might have joined the ranks of abandonned babies. I know I'm crazy but admitting it is half the battle.

For the record, Makena is hysterical. She has a true sense of humor, loves to be chased, and has just discovered spinning on her feet -- which gives me high hopes that she might show a propensity toward figure skating! She is an acrobatic escape artist and will attempt to climb anything that presents a challenge. She dives head first down the slide at the park (I grab the back of her shirt at the last moment to stop her from flying off). She can be read to all day long. She pronounces the "k" part of book, when requesting a story. She officially says "Mama" when calling me and "Da" when calling her dad. Jack remains "Dat" and "Uh Oh" is huge, as well as her attempt to recreate the sound an elephant makes.

She walks around her room pointing to anything elephant, saying "booooooooo". Tiger remains the love of her life and I invariably find her tossing food overboard, saying "uh oh," and trying to hustle out of her high chair so that she can eat her food off the floor with Tiger. I know how gross this reads, but there is a cute factor to it and, besides, she hardly ever succeeds. Although I can see how she's obviously been rewarded in her attempts enough for me to post about it.

Today, I will surrender ALL of Makena's original documents when I apply for her first American passport. We're talking Chinese passport, birth certificate, abandonment certificate, adoption decree and her American Certificate of citizenship! It is a slightly nerve racking venture. I have been assured by the government worker (I waited twenty-five minutes to speak to) that all those things would be returned. We have a month to go until Jack's Spring Break and barring any unforseen clerical delays, we will be headed south, to Mexico.

Since Makena is still under the age of two, I am not purchasing a seat for her. Her travel tantrums will be part of the web of memories I have of her youth. Besides, Jack's waist is still smaller than mine so he can share the seat with her. Ha! I just hope the passport comes, or the next post will be about cursing the system.

Isabelle
PS The first picture was taken at the zoo, the second, is of Makena wearing the dress I brought her to wear on gotcha day and that se could not fit into 6 months ago. The third, the joys of driving and the last, an elephant sighting.

No comments: