Welcome to Mak and Jack

This is a journal that irregularly chronicles the crazy life, mishaps and adventures we have had since shortly before we traveled to Chongqing, China in August of 2006 to adopt our daughter (a sister for Jack,) Makena.

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Secret Identity

A phone call from Sears took me for a bit of a tailspin last Thursday. A woman called me from the store to ask if I had added anyone to my list of authorized users on my Sears card. I hadn't. She went on to say that a woman had purchased over five thousand dollars in goods at two store. This was done in person and giving enough of my personal information to get away with it until someone became suspicious and called me. I can't believe I actually picked up the phone. I'm a screener.

I spent Friday on the phone with the fraud department for all my credit cards, we established new passwords and checked my credit report (apparently, your mother's maiden name is part of the public record). I am now waiting to fill out a dossier they will be sending me shortly. I have to get it notarized.I have to include a police report. I have to go to my local sheriff and report it. Ugh.

I opened my mailbox on Saturday to discover a letter from the doctor's office (where I had my mammogram last week). I immediately assumed that since he hadn't sent me a purple postcard telling me that everything was fine, then the letter meant that he had something more ominous to share with me. I was right, except I was wrong.

A woman posing as a driver for a messenger company the doctor's office uses for their billing, stole all the personal billing records of the patients who had been examined the day I was there. We're talking: Social Security, driver's license, home address, birthday, etc. That's how my identity was stolen! They haven't caught her yet. They weren't able to nab the woman who had a shopping spree on my good credit either (maybe they are one and the same.) Why she couldn't steal my attention deficit or my procrastination or the little voice inside my head that encourages me to have an extra bite of cake when I shouldn't have any, really gets my goat. I might have let her shop a little bit longer out of sheer gratitude. I'm done.

I had to get that off my chest.

Is- not shopping

2 comments:

Donna said...

Oh my gosh. That totally sucks. I hope you get it all straightened out with the least pain and agony possible. Ugh.

Donna

Gen said...

UUGGHH - speechless. Well I do have a few choice words but I won't write them on your blog.