Welcome to Mak and Jack

This is a journal that irregularly chronicles the crazy life, mishaps and adventures we have had since shortly before we traveled to Chongqing, China in August of 2006 to adopt our daughter (a sister for Jack,) Makena.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Tang Soo Panda


Jack finally tested for, and received, his red belt in Tang Soo Do karate. He is pictured breaking a board with a side kick. EM almost didn't get the shot because Jack broke through on his second try!

Jack is now officially one color away from black. If he applies himself, he could be invited to test for the black belt by the time he enters middle school. This is huge. I know he does it because of my insistence (it teaches him coordination, discipline, mental focus and self-defense). I told him that if he really felt strongly about stopping, that he could quit the sport once he received his second degree black belt. So he plugs away at it week in, week out, wax on, wax off.


No sooner was his belt singed around his waist did he point his finger at me and order me to start taking classes, because of a silly little promise promise I made him about a year and a half ago (to keep him motivated) that I would start as soon as he hit red.

Okay, so I am now a Tang Soo newbie with two classes under my white belt (no pun intended.) If I apply myself, in a year, I could be taking classes with Jack -- which would be cool because we would have that to do together (AKA quality time) and because he would essentially be my (gulp) coach.

On a related matter, we took Makena to see her first movie in a theater. It was Kung Fu Panda. She sat on my lap for most of it until she couldn't take it any longer and jumped off. She spent the rest of the movie either punching Jack and me or kicking us in the shins.

EM was waiting for us when we got out of the theater and she ran out and kicked him in the knee.

Needless to say, Makena will soon be taking karate classes too.

Is a karate mom

No comments: