Welcome to Mak and Jack

This is a journal that irregularly chronicles the crazy life, mishaps and adventures we have had since shortly before we traveled to Chongqing, China in August of 2006 to adopt our daughter (a sister for Jack,) Makena.

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Boulder rocks

(Makena and the chalk cow at the Children's Museum of Denver.)
Makena and I just returned from a trip to Denver and Boulder which was a good excuse to visit our friends Olivia, Chloe and their parents. They were one of among sixteen families who traveled with us to China when we adopted Makena. We had several outings and play dates with them and the girls had a blast getting reacquainted. But as their mother, Karen, said:"Trying to get the three to sit still for a shot was like wrangling cats."
(Makena, Chloe and Olivia.)
(The girls at the butterfly museum.)
I hired the daughter of a friend of ours to chauffeur Jack to his activities and help him with his homework while I was away and he hardly missed me at all. Jack's teacher knew of my travels and e-mailed me to let me know that Jack didn't smell in spite of my absence. I was concerned that he may take a break from hygiene but I was wrong. He showered daily and obsessed over his hair. (He is ten going on seventeen and I am in so much trouble.)

As the plane landed at LAX, Makena turned to her doll and said."Baby, we are home." I felt the sme relief and happiness she felt. This was a long haul and I hope to stay put for a while. As soon as we stepped foot in the house, Makena ran to her room and proceeded to inspect every toy, puzzle and book she had hen promptly trashed her space.

Over the next few weeks I'll get her back into her routine and figure out the preschool options and other classes I want to check out with her. Right now I just want to be a vegetable.

I have to say that in spite of all the changes in scenery and lodging over the last three months that our Mei Mei has become an amazing little traveler. Something I was incapable of predicting as far back as last April but something I am incredibly proud of.

Is-happy to be home

No comments: