Welcome to Mak and Jack

This is a journal that irregularly chronicles the crazy life, mishaps and adventures we have had since shortly before we traveled to Chongqing, China in August of 2006 to adopt our daughter (a sister for Jack,) Makena.

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Blink

The summer went by in the blink of an eye. It often felt like I was on a class three rapid navigating all the things I did to keep my children busy (and spoiled.) Below are the photograph that capture the time spent over the last ten weeks.
My nephew, Stefan. came for an almost three week visit at the beginning of the summer.
We celebrated Jack's tenth birthday with his friends.
We rented a house with some friends and spent a week in Martha's Vineyard.
We moved on to visit our friends in Worthington, Massachusetts. They live on a blueberry farm and Jack and his friend, Jack, spent an entire day selling blueberries.
Check out the size of these berries!
We drove up to Mont Tremblant, Quebec, and visited with Anouk and her family and spent a few days playing with them and boating on the lake.
I love this picture of Jack. After our stay we drove south to Vermont to drop Jack of at camp where he spent the following two weeks there honing his tennis and soccer skills. My sister picked him up at the end of the session and took him back to Montreal for three days. He flew home as an "unaccompanied minor" (with a connection in Chicago!)
While Jack was at camp, I flew from the East Coast out to San Francisco to spend the weekend celebrating the second anniversary of Makena's adoption with her China cousins an their families. It was great. The girls were all extraordinary, with such different personalities, and a lot of fun to watch and play with.
Jack came home, EM took the week off and we repacked our bags and flew out to Montana to spend the week at a dude ranch. It was great. The sky was big. The air was clean but we spent most days freezing. (The coldest winter I ever spent was my summer in Montana!)
I finally managed to get Makena on a horse and she loved it. I'm psyched because by the end of our stay she was comfortable enough in the saddle that I could envisage taking her out on my horse around the neighborhood. That is, when I finally make it back.

I am presently in Boulder, Colorado with Makena. Jack is at home with his dad and getting used to being a fifth grader. Hopefully, he is also showering.

Is-exhausted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice!

No mention of watching the Olympics chez Tannis in Toronto between camp and San Fran.