Welcome to Mak and Jack

This is a journal that irregularly chronicles the crazy life, mishaps and adventures we have had since shortly before we traveled to Chongqing, China in August of 2006 to adopt our daughter (a sister for Jack,) Makena.

Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Keys to happiness

We sprung Jack from school two days early and traveled to the Keys for spring break. As we headed to the airport around nine to catch a red-eye to Miami, I panicked because Makena was wide awake. She walked through security, pranced around the departures gate, asked to watch Mulan for the seventeenth time and showed no signs of slowing down. The flight from L.A. to Miami is 5.5 hours so I needed every second of that air time to sleep. After we landed, we would have another two hour drive to Duck Key, where we were staying. Things were not looking good.

Neither was my derriere because as I leaned down to pick something up, I heard a ripping sound that took my breath away. My jeans tore. There was no way to keep the incident private because Jack decided to announce it loudly to anyone within ear shot and then promptly declared how embarrassed he was that my buttock (one cheek) might be revealed.

EM came to my rescue and declared the rip to be "sexy." Thankfully, It was a horizontal tear and, no, I didn't have a change of clothes for myself. I boarded the plane with my head held high, walking with very short strides and with visions of the perfect Mojito awaiting me at the end of the line.

Makena (there is a god) fell asleep upon takeoff and I managed to get some uninterrupted shut-eye all the way to Miami. The rip was revisited when I had to disembark so I did what I always do in situations such as these and I told myself that I didn't know any of the travelers around me and that I would never see them again.
We swam with the dolphins.
The kids spent entire days in the pool.
Makena was little Miss Sunshine...
When she wasn't being Pirate Girl.

It was an excellent, relaxing and sun-filled vacation.

Is-happy

No comments: