Welcome to Mak and Jack

This is a journal that irregularly chronicles the crazy life, mishaps and adventures we have had since shortly before we traveled to Chongqing, China in August of 2006 to adopt our daughter (a sister for Jack,) Makena.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Look back


One year ago today, I was standing outside a restaurant in La Antigua, Guatemala. I was in the middle of a rain storm straining to hear my husband's phone call. The reception kept getting cut off as he tried to give me the details of Makena's referral.

She was eight months old and she was described as beautiful, active and curious about bright lights and music. In the ten months since she has been home, nothing about that description of her has has changed, except that it failed to mention how funny and fearless she was.
When I finally laid eyes on her photograph the next day, I cried. I hugged Jack, immediately called my husband, and I told him that I loved him and I thanked him for making my dream (over thirty years in the making) come true.
I love your extraordinary and boundless spirit, Makena. I love it with all my heart.

Is - your mother

PS The picture of Jack was taken in La Antigua, the day he became an older brother.

No comments: