Welcome to Mak and Jack

This is a journal that irregularly chronicles the crazy life, mishaps and adventures we have had since shortly before we traveled to Chongqing, China in August of 2006 to adopt our daughter (a sister for Jack,) Makena.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Almost over.

I feel like the accidental tourist. I'm in Santa Monica for 48 hours and so close to so much shopping and I can't find my way into any store because of the lure of the news coverage on TV. San Diego county is devastated -- which is making the Malibu fires look like a camp fire. One of Jack's best friends had the fire fighters camped in his driveway fending off the flames at the top of Las Flores canyon, last night. His dad stayed behind to play hero and we don't know if their house is still standing, so we're thinking about them. We heard from a neighbor who snuck back into our hood that our house is fine. It has a lot of soot and ash everywhere, as well as broken branches scattered about, from the wind damage (not to mention the hole the truck left behind). So we have decided to stay here one more night because I don't want the kids breathing in so much soot and residual smoke.

And now my attention is turned to the Arrowhead and Running Springs fires wondering if I need to start worrying about our place in Big Bear Lake. This "Mercury in retrograde" is starting to really annoy me.

On another note, I had a long standing appointment with an allergist yesterday, for Makena, because of her constant runny nose. She tested her for 24 different allergens and Makena reacted alarmingly to shrimp and outdoor mold. So no seafood for Mak and she has to be on daily doses of Astelin until further notice and I have to be really careful feeding her Chinese food! I also have to change her out of her clothes after every visit with the horses. I'm thinking of having her run around naked for the next three years -- which is something she would much prefer, anyway.

Her two-year check up is tomorrow. I'll have a better idea of her growth. At 18 months,she had crept up to the 43rd percentile for height (up from 5% at 10 months when we first got her) and 46th for weight. We're aiming for 50th. Which is straight down the middle -- exactly where I aim to keep my parenting skills (no more or no better than any other mother). Ultimately, I think I sleep better that way.


Is-average

PS Happy birthday to Stefan. I did manage to grab your present when we left and I will post it to you soon. xo.

No comments: