Welcome to Mak and Jack

This is a journal that irregularly chronicles the crazy life, mishaps and adventures we have had since shortly before we traveled to Chongqing, China in August of 2006 to adopt our daughter (a sister for Jack,) Makena.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Two much

Our little Miss Sunshine turned two on October 28th. I had planned to take her and some of her friends to the Santa Barbara Zoo for a picnic but after having been evacuated, spending three nights in a hotel and then returning home to pack up the last of the house and move into the new rental, it all proved too much. I was psychically exhausted. I canceled her party and sort of left it at that. I didn't even have the energy to order her toy kitchen. Jack and I made a pilgrimage to Toys 'R Us but I couldn't manage to select one. Brain dead, I left the store with a glittery purse and accessories box that contained plastic keys, cell phones and glasses (pink girly stuff I never in a million years would have purchased for her before she came into our life). Jack chose a plush Barney toy (another banned character when he was a baby,) I grabbed a couple of puzzles and called it a day.

EM was concerned. He knew how much I relished birthday planning and there was nothing to plan because nothing was going to happen. He asked, "You're at least going to get her a cake, right?" I shook my head, "Too many carbs." He encouraged me to call a couple of our friends and invite them over for lunch (remember I have no kitchen) and sing "Happy Birthday" to Makena. Of course he was right, I couldn't let the day go by without celebrating it in some small fashion and so I went into psycho/nervous breakdown mom mode. I called 3 friends (less than 24 hours notice) attempted to drive 40 minutes to Los Angeles to pick up a store-bought cake from this amazing bakery and drive back but I forgot that I had agreed to let Jack go to a friend's house on a sleep-over -- thirty minutes away, in the opposite direction. By the time I retrieved him, the special cake the whole party was being built around, was nixed. The two Chinese restaurants I had planned on getting take-out from were closed for lunch! So I ended up at the supermarket purchasing an ice cream cake and a handful of Barney, Dora and Elmo balloons and then headed to KFC for some fried chicken. That was it.Can I just say that the look of pure glee that spread across Makena's face when she saw the balloons (of course, I don't have a picture of that,) made it all worth it (as did the look of horror on my friends' face when I served them the Colonel's secret recipe). That was the best gift of all. That was all she needed and she was overjoyed.She loved the cake even though it was half-melted by the time she blew out the candles and the "entertainment" part of the party was when Jack decided it would be amusing to do a face-plant into the cake and did. I was slightly horrified but then glad because he couldn't come up with an excuse not to shower. Ha!

It was a great day.


Happy Birthday Makena Rae Lihan. You are truly our beautiful gift of Sunshine.

We love you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much!


Isa-Mama, 'dee and Jack.

No comments: