Welcome to Mak and Jack

This is a journal that irregularly chronicles the crazy life, mishaps and adventures we have had since shortly before we traveled to Chongqing, China in August of 2006 to adopt our daughter (a sister for Jack,) Makena.

Monday, October 22, 2007

Holy smokes!

There's nothing more unsettling than waking up in the dark, smelling smoke -- which is what happened yesterday. I bolted awake and ran outside to smell even more. The power was out so I ran down to the corral using my cell phone to light my way. I checked on the horses and went out onto the street to see a convoy of cars driving out of the neighborhood. My neighbor was out as well freaking out because his driveway gate would not open (it was electric). He told me to start gathering stuff and get out! So I called my hauler (waking him up) and asked him to please get over to me and evacuate the horses. I ran back up and woke up EM (by then, it was 5AM)and we fumbled around gathering adoption papers, passports, insurance papers, photographs and then we woke Jack up. He was really scared and upset so we had him wait in the car while we grabbed some paintings and rounded up the tortoise and the dog.

Cops showed up, telling us to evacuate just as the hauler arrived. I loaded the horses onto his trailer, got a vague idea of where they were being taken to and then went back to the house to get Makena (who slept through all this) while EM and Jack made a made dash to the new house to rescue the Geckos. We were supposed to move into the new house last night, so all our clothes had already been moved there along with other personal items.

Figures that the truck in the kitchen wasn't enough excitement for our family. We had to add the fires to it because things were simply starting to get boring.

I'll post more later.


Isa -flame

1 comment:

Yoli said...

I am so glad you are OK. That is very scary. Let's hope these brave firefighters can get it under control soon.