Welcome to Mak and Jack

This is a journal that irregularly chronicles the crazy life, mishaps and adventures we have had since shortly before we traveled to Chongqing, China in August of 2006 to adopt our daughter (a sister for Jack,) Makena.

Monday, March 02, 2009

And she's off

I interrupt this blog to announce that I have the week off. My friend, Dominique is (finally) getting married for the first time and the ceremony is taking place just outside of Paris. As in "France!" I am writing this from the airport lounge awaiting my flight.

El Mysterioso gave me his blessing and I purchased one ticket to Europe. This is quite possibly the first time in almost eleven years that I am taking more than two days for myself without a husband, a child or two children in tow. I arrived at the airport about an hour ago and breezed through security. I didn't have to unstrap a child out of a car seat and strap her into a stroller. I didn't have to hear another one complain about the long lines. I didn't have to remove three pairs of shoes and stuff all the baggage through the x-ray machine. I just placed my hand bag on the conveyor belt, showed my boarding pass and walked through.

My deodorant supported me, I have no food stains on my shirt. I feel calm. I debated about whether or not to have a drink before the flight and decided to blog about this momentous time in my life instead.

All it took for me to get here was spend a couple of days writing down an intricate schedule for my husband, three babysitters and driver-friends to follow. Mak and Jack will be chauffeured to school, baseball, karate, tennis, gymnastics and Chinese tutoring. Teachers, coaches, doctors and veterinarians have all been alerted that I am leaving town. The horse feed is being delivered tomorrow. The geckos have feasted on crickets and the health insurance card is tacked on a cabinet in the laundry room.

Mommy is off.

Next stop, Paris.

Au revoir.

Is-away

No comments: