Welcome to Mak and Jack

This is a journal that irregularly chronicles the crazy life, mishaps and adventures we have had since shortly before we traveled to Chongqing, China in August of 2006 to adopt our daughter (a sister for Jack,) Makena.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Last stop


Anouk and I had planned on sharing a hotel room around the Paris airport for our last night in town but my friend, Vero, invited us to spend it at her place near Montmartre. She even sweetened the invitation by offering to drive us to the airport the next morning. I have to say that it was such an enjoyable and relaxed way to end this adventure.


When we showed up, we were met with the classic challenge of having to get our luggage up three flights of steps. We managed to cram two suitcases and me in the elevator while the other two ran up ahead to meet me. Since eighteenth century buildings were constructed before the advent of the elevator, I was amused to see how the floors were numbered. I ended up half a floor up from my intended destination.


We took Vero out for drinks and she brought two of her three children along for the escapade. Ines, her twelve-year old free spirit...


And, Lucas, her rambunctious ten-year old. Anouk and I had a good laugh at poor Vero's expense, watching her discipline her kids (and only because ours weren't there to add fuel to the fire). Ines and Lucas spent most of the outing sabotaging each other's drinks, hopping from seat to seat and pinching themselves. Vero was not amused. When she wasn't looking, Anouk even tried to teach them how to make spitballs with pieces of napkins.


The evening turned out to be greatly motivational. Anouk and I having had a weekly taste of freedom for the first time, in a long time, were instructed by Vero to make it an annual event. She shared that she had been taking a week to herself for the last two years and was about to implement a two-week getaway this year. (Those bold French women!)

I decided to begin formulating a one-week escape plan after I see what the impact of my absence will have been on Mak and Jack.

In the meantime, au revoir freedom, au revoir fries, and merci you Vero!

Is-going home

1 comment:

LindaJ said...

How wonderful. Looks like you had a great time. I just love all your pictures. I'm also very jealous I would love to go to France.