Welcome to Mak and Jack

This is a journal that irregularly chronicles the crazy life, mishaps and adventures we have had since shortly before we traveled to Chongqing, China in August of 2006 to adopt our daughter (a sister for Jack,) Makena.

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Vive la France


What's a girl to do with all this time on her hands? One option is to spend two hours watching the hairstyle trial for Dominique's wedding.


Another, is to wrap a hundred snow globe party favors in tulle, stick name tags to red cards, organize guests by alphabetical order and cross check that everyone will be seated at the right table. Which is how I found out that I will be seated in Siberia with no one I know.


I feel that I can rag about this because Anouk and I are not Dominique's bridesmaids or bridematrons - whatever we should be called. Anouk and Dominique were mine. Dominique and I were Anouk's but Do decided to break that tradition when she asked a cousin of hers to take on that role. We are still waiting for said cousin to show up, step up to the plate and help. News flash: She isn't. She has been too busy attending the opera and going to museums to help. Which is exactly what Anouk and I should be doing. Aaaghhhhhh. I knew this was going to happen. Anouk knew this was going to happen. Even their mother knew this was going to happen. And guess what? It did! On the plus side, I don't have to wear one of those ridiculous pastel pouffy dresses or make a speech at the wedding. Please keep the microphone away from me.

Thank god for friendships.

We are done non-bridesmaiding for today. It's threatening to rain and Anouk and I are about to head out and salvage what we can of this vacation - which may really mean heading to a cafe and ordering wine at noon - all the while telling ourselves that it's five o'clock somewhere in the world.


Five hours later...

We are back, having window shopped our way through the sixth and seventh arrondissement. (Our husbands will be relieved to know that we purchased small, inexpensive, token souvenirs for our children.) We did end up in a cafe but we were too exhausted to think about drinking wine. So we talked about Dominique (our favorite subject) and ordered fries, instead. Freedom fries.

Vive la France!

Is-a-fried

No comments: