Welcome to Mak and Jack

This is a journal that irregularly chronicles the crazy life, mishaps and adventures we have had since shortly before we traveled to Chongqing, China in August of 2006 to adopt our daughter (a sister for Jack,) Makena.

Friday, April 11, 2008

Truck free

We are home. After seven months away, the house has finally been rebuilt and following two weeks of unpacking and nesting, things are settling down. Yeah. So, of course, now is the perfect time to throw a little disruption into this semblance of routine we were all getting used to because I leave for France in less than forty-eight hours to meet up with Papi in Pau (which is at the foot of the Pyrenees on the Atlantic side) and with Makena as my traveling companion. I can't think of a more exciting trip than being cloistered on a plane with my little princess for twelve hours and follow that up with another hour and a half flight south.Ever since my family chose to relocate my mother's ashes to a family plot in the middle of mountainous French nowhere while I was in China adopting Makena, I've been haunted by the fact that I didn't have a visual on where my mother was finally laid to rest -- not to mention the lack of notice so that I could attend the memorial. But happily-sadly-neurotically and joyfully, I am checking this off on the things I've needed to do to bring a bit of added healing and closure to my life so that I can fully focus on the future.

Truck out -- check.
Visit mom -- check (almost).
Give Makena consistency -- ugh... well...ugh.

I won't post while I am away (no kidding) because I chose to use the space my laptop would take up in my carry-on for a portable DVD player (with an eight-hour battery pack,) a Pixter, a gazillion Babybug magazines, art supplies and two cases of Altoids (her candy of choice). I'll throw in a diaper and a change of clothes (for me) for good measure.

I will spend six days in Pau before heading halfway back to Paris to visit a girlfriend and her kids (an hour from Bordeaux) and then ultimately hook up with one of my oldest friends to celebrate her birthday in Paris. I'll be staying across from the Luxembourg gardens (6th) so that Makena can have a traffic-free spot to run around in and terrorize French pigeons, possibly drink toxic toxic water out of rococo fountains -- who knows.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Jack, dad and Tiger (although he doesn't know it) are preparing to party for ten days. I predict that it will be high on fun and low on fiber and that they won't miss us for a minute (although I will). Just try to shower once or twice while I am gone or else I might have to come home with cologne as a gift.

A bientot,

Is - a baguette lover

PS: Jack's baseball bag is under his bed. Make sure he completes the Junior Great books packet.
PPS: Our new kitchen!

No comments: