Welcome to Mak and Jack

This is a journal that irregularly chronicles the crazy life, mishaps and adventures we have had since shortly before we traveled to Chongqing, China in August of 2006 to adopt our daughter (a sister for Jack,) Makena.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

I spy

I've never been good at keeping photo albums or scrapbooks so this is pretty much it. I know that it tends to skew heavy on Makena but I feel a greater responsibility somehow. Mostly because we know so little of her past and because I get preoccupied about what she might ask me when she gets older. I'd like to have as many answers as I can for her.

With that in mind, I went on a little fact finding mission over the last couple of weeks. I joined some new adoption groups and posted a few questions that I floated out there into the universe of families who have adopted children from China. I didn't hold out much hope but I wanted to be able to say that I had tried... and a funny thing happened. I got responses. Not only that but my little question, "Did anyone travel to the Qianjiang SWI between January 1 and August 14th of 2006 and did they take photographs?" was answered and hundreds of pictures were suddenly posted -- mostly of orphanage life the year of her birth (which were equally valuable) and then (icing on the cake) a connection was made with another mother, whose daughter "Sofia," we initially suspected might have been Makena's foster sister. In any event, having reviewed the photographs she sent me, we both decided that Makena and Sofia's foster mothers were definitely related. Even Makena and Sofia's referral photographs were taken in the same location, on the same date, and wearing identical outfits (I don't have a photo to show). I realize that the orphanage must purchase clothing in bulk and assign it to the various foster families but still, I felt really excited about all this news. The biggest gift (the cherry on top of it all) was finding a photo of Makena when she was about five months old, asleep in a crib. When I caught sight of it, my heart leaped and I cried.She is pictured on the right and this would be the youngest photograph I have of her.

I am now more determined than ever to travel back to China and Qianjiang with Makena while she is young (and as often as possible), regardless of whether she has lasting memories of these visits. Because no matter, they would be chronicled and woven into the history of her life. More importantly though, there are rumors that the Qianjiang foster program is to be terminated and I don't want to miss out on the chance of meeting her foster mother or some of the nannies who may have played a role in her early up bringing.

In the meantime, while I accrue frequent flyer points to do this, I'll keep combing the internet for clues when I have the time. Because I realize that there is a bounty of information to be reeled in from the great unknown and I plan on catching me some peace of mind. As much for me as for Makena.

Is - on the hunt.

1 comment:

Donna said...

This is so awesome! I got chills reading it!

We're leaving for China next week and will visit Maddy's foster family while we're there. I've long suspected that she's related to them (for reasons I can't share online). This trip will answer many questions.

Donna