Welcome to Mak and Jack

This is a journal that irregularly chronicles the crazy life, mishaps and adventures we have had since shortly before we traveled to Chongqing, China in August of 2006 to adopt our daughter (a sister for Jack,) Makena.

Monday, October 27, 2008

Manatee

Jack's fifth grade class went on a sleep-over field trip to Sea World in San Diego. We checked in at 5PM and were led on a private tour of the park. The kids learned about manatees. Did you know that they are related to elephants? Go figure. I drove a few parents crazy by combating the camp songs the Sea World counselors were shouting out by singing the words I remembered from John Lithgow's book "I Am A Manatee." Jack loved this book when he was younger and it has become one of Makena's favorites too. "From time to time I dream that I'm a manatee, unshackled by the chains of mere humanity..." And on and on I went. I can't sing.

The evening ended around midnight when we piled into the manatee hall and inflated our air mattresses and promptly fell asleep to the glowing ghostly shapes of these sweet mammals. The next morning wasn't so charming or magical. Having to clean up in a public bathroom with the cold water tap spewing three-seconds' worth of water at a time and clothing falling into pools of unmentionable liquids... I even sacrificed my already bad hair to ride the Atlantis coaster (three times.) I was soaked. What we won't do for our children. (And Jack had a great time too.)
We came home really tired only to find Rommel waiting for us at the front door. Who needs field trips when we live in one every day of our lives.

Is-a-manatee lover

2 comments:

LindaJ said...

I miss checking on on your blog...where have you been?

Isabelle said...

I've been taking care of myself and attempting to regain my sanity, 2008 WAS ONE CRAZY YEAR. How do you like the blokus game?