Welcome to Mak and Jack

This is a journal that irregularly chronicles the crazy life, mishaps and adventures we have had since shortly before we traveled to Chongqing, China in August of 2006 to adopt our daughter (a sister for Jack,) Makena.

Friday, October 31, 2008

Merry Christmas

Last year for Jack's school halloween parade I was a sushi roll. My friend, Jill, showed up as a ginger bread cookie. After I was asked how my pilates classes were coming along I was determined to be something more flattering in 2008. I announced that I would be a "sexy" Christmas tree. I had a whole year to figure it out and, of course, put it off to the last minute. Nevertheless, I felt like I achieved my goal in a Project Runway sort of way. Jill was at a loss as to what to be so I made her "present" costume and we paraded around the school as a team. It was pretty funny. I had battery operated Christmas lights (that you can't really see in the picture) and the star on my head actually blinked. This all came in handy when we went trick-or-treating later that night. Everyone could see me coming a mile away.
Makena was a Flamenco dancer. She wore my authentic Spanish dress! My father (the pack rat) kept it for me all these years and then mailed it to me when we came home with Makena. It fit her perfectly. She thought she was a princess.

Jack was a surfer eaten by a shark. We were going to bloody him up but he was concerned that he might scare the Kindergarteners. He later ditched the shark costume and went out in a bathing suit and rash guard because he could cover more ground in his quest for chocolate.

This was Mak's first real Halloween going door-to-door and being handed candy. She lasted all of four houses before falling asleep in the golf cart between stretches of houses. EM and grandpa drove her around while we proceeded on foot. She woke up the next morning made a b-line for the pillow case and dove into the candy before anyone noticed and could stop her. When we found her, her eyes were pinwheels. She was hooked. She was vibrating from the sugar rush and she had a whopper of a tantrum when we cut her off. She not only ate a third of the bag she actually hoarded some of the chocolate away. I found some under our sheets, under her bed and under the couch. She must have known that this was too good to be true. It was. The candy spent 48 hours in the house before we donated it back to our school, who then gave it away to some local nursing homes. Seniors deserve every opportunity to be jacked on sugar, after all.

Is-a-happy Halloween

No comments: