Welcome to Mak and Jack

This is a journal that irregularly chronicles the crazy life, mishaps and adventures we have had since shortly before we traveled to Chongqing, China in August of 2006 to adopt our daughter (a sister for Jack,) Makena.

Friday, August 11, 2006

The Great Wall...of fog. AKA the Stairmaster from hell.

So I came all this way and this is what I saw. Nothing. I had no serious concept of what it meant to go visit the Great Wall. I knew it as one of the great wonders of the world and that you could see it from space. What I encountered was essentially an incredibly long staircase, crammed with people of all nationalities who were all dripping with sweat. You can't begin to imagine how much water was pouring off our bodies (and not just me). And all Jack wanted to do was climb and climb and climb. I kept telling him the fog cover wasn't going to clear the higher we went. The only thing that kept me going was the thought of losing a pound or two...losing him in the crowd came a close second.

At this stop we had probably been climbing for about forty-five minutes, maybe more. You can't even imagine how high up we were. Jack would have kept going but I kept thinking of the uneven, wet stone steps we had to confront on the return and I finally pulled the plug. By the time we made it back down to the main entrance, our hands were stained with rust from gripping the hand rail and I had about a quarter teaspoon of antibacterial gel left.
You see the military and police everywhere but nowhere do you see Fashion police. People are getting away with murder. This would never wash where I come from, although I must say, I do feel right at home here.

Isabelle.
I can't see my posts or do spell check anymore so my apologies.

No comments: