Welcome to Mak and Jack

This is a journal that irregularly chronicles the crazy life, mishaps and adventures we have had since shortly before we traveled to Chongqing, China in August of 2006 to adopt our daughter (a sister for Jack,) Makena.

Monday, August 14, 2006

A half hour to go as a family of 3.

Our group made it safely to Chongqing this morning. We flew in over somewhat mountainous terrain and finished it off with a bumpy landing. I discovered, as we taxied to a stop, that the little girl in the seat in front of me had been amusing herself by pouring her water glass between the seats. My bag, with all our documents, Jack's PSP, MY CAMERA, and our airline tickets were wet! I had a near anxiety attack and was relieved, after I dried everything, to find out that the camera worked (who cares about the rest).

As soon as we got out of the terminal, the heat assaulted us but what was even more startling was a group of people who saw Jack and promptly squealed and ran up to him, hugging him and dragging him away to make him pose in a picture with them. Jack, quite naturally freaked out, thinking they were kidnapping him. I knew right away that it wasn't the case and was sort of amused by it all. I mistakingly assumed that he would enjoy this kind of adulation as much as I do.

It turns out that these people were in from the province and had never seen a white face before, except for on television. The woman pictured kept trying to kiss and hug him and he was overwhelmed by it. After we allowed them to snap a few pictures of Jack, and us with them, we asked if we could also have a souvenir of this occasion.

Jack has now crossed off rock or movie star as potential career choices and I have personally crossed out detective because he can never find anything when it is staring him right in the face (he takes after his dad that way.)

About a half hour ago, our group convened in a conference room of the Chongqing (six star) Marriott and signed the formal adoption application. I was caught off guard by the postage stamp picture of Makena, looking older and less chubby. They handed us a sheet with information on her daily routine and I discovered that she eats, mashed pork, mashed liver, tofu and steamed egg -- she obviously takes after my side of the family.

I have to go. I need to slap some make up on my face.


Isabelle

No comments: