Welcome to Mak and Jack

This is a journal that irregularly chronicles the crazy life, mishaps and adventures we have had since shortly before we traveled to Chongqing, China in August of 2006 to adopt our daughter (a sister for Jack,) Makena.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Makena

My family is asleep. I am shell-shocked. As I write this, I'm looking out the 17th floor window and taking in Chongqing at night. I keep thinking I'm in a scene from Blade Runner.

Makena greeted us with curiosity and us, with tears. She didn't cry the entire time we were at the Civil Affairs Bureau and she was calm and relaxed the following two hours we spent there. She chewed on a teether biscuit. She sipped water and ate apple sauce. She fell asleep in my arms on the way back to the hotel and only cried when I put her down momentarily.

She ate at dinner and Jack, our empathetic-sweetheart-comedian, was the first to get her to laugh. My husband tickled her and made her giggle and when eight o'clock rolled around, I laid her in the crib, stared at her for a bit and walked away. She fell asleep within five minutes.
Is this really a child of mine?
c="http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6995/2428/320/DSC01352.jpg" border="0" alt="" />I'll blog more thoughtfully as soon as I can. Who cares anyway? All I ever want to see are pictures. So here they are. She's precious and tiny and fits in 3 to 6 months clothes. I only brought two outfits in that age range...so I'll have to go shopping.

The family at the bottom greeted their daughter, Maelin, first. I could not take more pictures as we were suddenly called next.



Thank you to everyone for your support. This is completely surreal but extremely cool.



Isabelle
On the other side.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an exciting time for you, love your blog. What beautiful babies. Enjoy this time. We are friends of Jack and Sharon. Thanks for posting the picture of Maelin also. Please tell Jack and Sharon we say "HI" and are so excited to meet Maelin.
Julie Mark and Lue grp 95